This is a great, quick and easy meal. You can serve this alone or ladle it over brown rice or quinoa. Add some avocado and cilantro to the bowl for a little extra flavor explosion.
1 tablespoon oil (coconut or olive works best)
1 medium onion, chopped
4 cloves of garlic, chopped
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon chili flakes (add more or less depending on your taste)
2 bay leaves
1 medium to large sweet potato, cubed
2 medium carrots, chopped
1 can each of red kidney beans, pinto beans, black beans; drained and rinsed
2 cans diced tomatoes (15 oz), not drained
1 cup vegetable broth
1. Heat oil in large pot over medium heat. Sauté onions until they are soft and translucent. Add garlic and sauté 30 more seconds.
2. Add cumin, coriander, chili powder, and chili flakes and cook for 1 minute until spices are fragrant.
3. Add the sweet potato and carrots and cook for 2 minutes stirring often.
4. Add beans, tomatoes, vegetable broth, and bay leaves to the pot. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low and cover. Simmer for 25-30 minutes until all the vegetables are tender.
5. Remove from heat and remove bay leaves. Serve in bowl and enjoy.